AUS Open: Osaka books QF clash against Svitolina - ALL IN ONE WORLD

Breaking

Monday 21 January 2019

AUS Open: Osaka books QF clash against Svitolina

US Open champion Naomi Osaka made a brilliant comeback to beat Latvia's Anastasija Sevastova and reach the Australian Open quarter-finals. The Japanese fourth seed won 4-6 6-3 6-4 and will now face sixth seed Elina Svitolina in the last-8.

Ukraine's Svitolina also took three sets to win against former US Open finalist Madison Keys. Svitolina triumphed 6-2 1-6 6-1 in 1 hour and 36 minutes.

Both Svitolina and Osaka have had to win their past two matches in three sets at Melbourne Park.

"I didn't give up, she was playing really well and I wasn't really sure what to do at a certain point but I just tried to stick in there. I was thinking I've been in this position before - actually it was a little bit worse last time," said Osaka, who had been a set and a break down in her third-round match against Taiwanese Hsieh Su-wei.

Svitolina's win took her into the quarter-finals for the second year running and there was a sigh of relief for the Ukraine player post the topsy-turvy clash.

"I was happy to handle that pressure at 1-1 in the third set. It was very hard because the sun was burning my eyes so I was very happy that I could win that game. I was playing good tennis today but Madison was playing great too in the second set so I had to rise and put my level up. I am going to enjoy this first because I have to keep positive for the next round. It is always exciting. I love to come here and it is always a happy place," said Svitolina.

Also moving into the quarters was Karolina Pliskova, who won 6-3 6-1 against Garbine Muguruza in under an hour. This is the third straight year when Pliskova has booked a spot in the last-eight at Melbourne Park.



from Sify.com http://bit.ly/2MjNdGm
http://bit.ly/2sBdPJZ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Pages